Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Never-Give-Up AMD



Undoubtedly, Intel is the leading name in computer processors. Now they just launched the Centrino 2 platform with 45nm Penryn Processor. For many, laptops which use CPU other than Intel are considered economical. More economical than Pentium Dual-Core. By economical, I mean AMD chips are bought to save money not performance seeking.

Say what you want, but I noticed I actually lean towards AMD in term of CPU craze. I'm not saying that I will definitely buy AMD now. In fact, I'm now using Intel Core2Duo with Santa Rosa Centrino Platform. For the moment, yeah, Intel is horizon away ahead of AMD.

Nonetheless, I found I would rather wiki on AMD Puma than Intel Montevina. I much rather read on AMD Fusion than other stuff summed up together by Intel.

I believe, as a previous leading name in Processing Chips, AMD will at least close the gap significantly with Intel. The AMD Fusion is expected to debut somewhere in 2009. It features the fused CPU and GPU. Meaning super efficient data transport between the 2 components (actually, it virtually need no bus to transport them since they are fused together). AMD purchase of ATI years back certainly mean this.

Intel hasn't mentioned any research on the fused chips yet. It is a no wonder, since Intel graphics chips have described as abysmal by many critics and users. To have a fused technology, they would need to pour more money to work with and buy from Nvidia as there is insignificant chance that AMD will let them fused with ATI chips.

Given that, come 2009, I will DEFINITELY buy laptop based of AMD Fusion.

Picture above I got from gizmodo.com which I think would be apt to attach with the article. Hehe.

No comments: